Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_texture_from_depth_video extension proposal

Hi Florian,

I'm one of the authors of the Media Capture Depth Stream Extensions spec.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. We'd definitely like to hear these sorts of comments and see if there are more generic and more useful ways we can make this set of extensions work.

Our initial advice was that a WebGL extension was the simplest and quickest way for us to get this feature shipping. Then with WebGL 2.0 we could move to using Red Integer or some simpler data structure that just maps directly to Uint16Array.

BTW: I don't think the proposal had been announced yet as we are still polishing off a few rough edges and it's not really a finished proposal quite yet.

We'd definitely like it if all WebGL implementers made this a standard part of their implementation...but in the mean time it really does seem like an extension is a good stop gap measure. Happy to hear robust debate about this though.

Also, if you'd like to expand upon your suggestion in point 3 then I think that could become the basis for a broader discussion.

Thanks.

roBman

On 6/11/14 8:11 AM, Florian Bösch wrote:
I've seen a new extension pop up in the proposals:
> https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/proposals/WEBGL_texture_from_depth_video/

I'd like to take issue with that extension in 3 points.

----------------------------------------------------------- You are currently subscribed to public_webgl@khronos.org. To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@khronos.org with the following command in the body of your email: unsubscribe public_webgl -----------------------------------------------------------