A worrying trend in webgl parameter support has appeared, mainly trough the introduction of WebGL to iOS.
- MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_VECTORS long held lowest level (250) is being supplanted by a new lowest level (128) now at 4.1%
- MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS long held lowest level (16) is being supplanted by new lowest level (8) now at 4.4%
- MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS long held lowest level (16) is supplanted by new lowest level (8) now at 4.2%Trends with similar, but not as problematic nature (due to less rigidly held previous levels are):
- MAX_VARYING_VECTORS lowest level (8) is expanding from 3.5% -> 5.4% this month
- MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_VECTORS just approached new lowest level (221) is supplanted by new lowest level (64) now at 4.9%I have illustrated the situation with this a picture ( http://codeflow.org/pictures/webgl-parameters-retrograde.png and attached).These developments, particularly the first three are problematic because these parameter lowest levels have been held for nearly 3 years, and as a consequence a lot of WebGL applications out in the wild probably accommodate those practical minimal limits. The introduction of a new lower limits has the potential to break those applications.
Description: PNG image