Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL working group - leadership

Hi John

Was just adding to the record of events for the last 3 years. So as not be misunderstood I will state my position:

Not being part of the  WebGL Working Group , I can't directly comment on Ken's chairmanship; however during it WebGL has risen to be the most ubiquitous graphics/GPU library, supported on every device that you can currently buy, every platform and every current browser; and you can even very simply return to the desktop with node-webkit if you wanted to do something like deploy via Steam.

It also must be by now the most tested; have the most conformance tests and clear standards of any graphics library - so I think what the Working Group, and community has achieved is pretty amazing.

Community-wise in my experience Ken is very active and nurturing, generally being one of the first to reply to posters in this and other forums with advice, suggestions and encouragement as well as step in when debates get a little too heated. I have at times been the recipient of this and thank him for it.

On WebGL 2.1, I see WebGL more around ubiquity and productivity than bleeding edge.  If you want the absolute latest then you go raw native as you get it before the other tools that use it have been written; but also you need to write each platform differently, and have different sets of code for different feature levels, fall-backs etc.

Right now, I'm happy to wait a bit longer until ES3.1 is much more widespread before writing code for it. I felt differently prior to IE on Desktop/WinPhone and Safari on OSX/iOS joining the mix. I'm actually enjoying the interlude of unity of api.

At this juncture its probably wiser to wait to see what the effects will be of the Android Extension Pack, iOS's Metal, AMD's Mantle and DirectX 12 before rushing to implement or define a cross platform WebGL > 2.0

Sorry, turned out a bit long...