Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL working group - leadership

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM, John Davis <jdavis@pcprogramming.com> wrote:
Is limiting ourselves to the lowest common denominator the best strategy?  If WinXP is our gold standard, then we'll never have compute shaders.

The goal of reaching the most people is already in place, webgl 1.0 and ANGLE.  Why not start shooting for where the target will be?

I think they are shooting for where the target will be. Today > 50% of people can't run ES 3.0. By the time WebGL 2.0 ships maybe that will be up to 60%

If people see compelling content on their friend's webgl 2.1/ES 3.1 device, they will be inclined to upgrade sooner rather than later.  As opposed to us waiting on them to upgrade on their own
.

At this point, I still think it would be a better allocation of resources to focus on webgl 2.1/es 3.1 for Android and IOS, and then let MANGLE catch up.  The latest iphones and tablets, which are selling like hotcakes, have ES 3.1 hardware, right?

There's no ES 3.1 on iOS AFAIK and the first ES 3.1 device hasn't shipped for Android yet.

  Why is this years away?

I don't know know all the differences between 3.0 and 3.1 but assuming 3.1 is just 3 + some stuff then there's no difference in timeline as implementing all 3.1 would require first implementing all of 3.0 which is exactly what they're already doing. Targeting 3.1 would just mean you'd have to wait for them to implement all of 3.0 then all the additions to get to 3.1 before you'd get anything. That's an even along timeline