Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL working group - leadership

Let me add as well I think Ken has done and is doing a great job.

We all want the shiniest newest features. But, one goal of a browser is to run everywhere. If WebGL were to go 3.1 most phones couldn't run it. Browsers are trying to cover as many people as possible. In fact it's likely WebGL 2.0 won't run on a great number of devices that WebGL 1.0 runs on. Windows XP's market share is still > 1 out of 5 people. Even looking at Mac's 30% of them can't run WebGL 2.0 which requires OSX 10.9 or higher.  1 out of 5 iPhones is still a 4 or 4S. No existing phone that I know of supports 3.1

I don't think the browser's goals have ever been to be on the bleeding edge of GPU APIs. Their goals are a more along the lines of making them accessible to the most people. Targeting 3.1 would likely mean most people couldn't use the API for many years. Unlike GL the goal of a browser is as much as possible write once run everywhere. Different goals lead to different priorities. Personally I think the current goals are the appropriate ones.