Re: [Public WebGL] Removal of glTexImage3D entry point?

I agree that there are a lot of bad things in OpenGL that should not have been present in the first place. Still, I think it's premature if WebGL 2 working group starts calling these out before Khronos deprecates the functions on GLES3/Desktop GL land, which it has not done. For WebGL 2, parity and compatibility with GLES3 is critical, since there is a large number of native codebases that are looking at _javascript_+WebGL2 as a deployment platform. The proper procedure here should be first to get TexImage3D deprecated in desktop GL and GLES before these kind of decisions are made to WebGL.

You make good points about not arbitrarily subsetting OpenGL ES 3. The thought in the WebGL working group at the time was something along the lines of: it would have been far better if mutable texture allocation functions had not been present in the first place (far simpler texture validation logic, etc.); and since 3D textures were being newly introduced, there was an opportunity to avoid widespread usage of an undesirable entry point. (We considered dropping TexImage2D in WebGL 2, but that would have broken basically all applications.)

You're correct that it isn't simple to emulate TexImage3D on top of TexStorage3D and TexSubImage3D. However, one point is that it should not be difficult to change existing OpenGL ES 3.0 code to use TexStorage3D instead of TexImage3D. For the long term, it still might be a good idea to push developers in the direction of using the immutable allocation functions, and not providing TexImage3D in Emscripten's emulation layer.

More opinions please?

Thanks,

-Ken