[Public WebGL] Removal of glTexImage3D entry point?

Hi,

in the current form, WebGL 2 spec is planning to remove a GLES3 entry point it finds to be of "bad form" and use in modern code should be avoided. See https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/2.0/#5.14 and https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/issues/542

While one can agree that calling glTexStorage3D is of more modern form than calling glTexImage3D, I don't agree that it is correct that WebGL 2 should start deprecating/erasing API functionality on its own. Especially when reading the comments in the issue tracker, the rationale seems to not be technical, but only for cleaning and peace of mind purposes. However, these kind of changes would break existing GLES3 code that is compiled over to the web via Emscripten. Therefore I would recommend that WebGL 2 did not arbitrate API cleanups like this, unless the emulation path is a trivial one that can be documented in the spec itself. What do you think?

   Jukka