Re: [Public WebGL] retrograde webgl support levels

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
Thanks for sounding a warning. I checked statistics reported by users allowing feedback to be sent for Chrome, and as far as I can tell, the percentage of Chrome users for which WebGL is enabled is significantly higher than 61%. Would have to ask marketing folks if I'm allowed to post more details.

Chrome on desktop is doing fairly well:
  • Windows 95.9% ( +0.4% on last month)
  • OSX 95% ( -0.5% from last month)
  • Linux 69.4% ( +3.4% from last month)
  • Chrome OS 99.8%
It's also doing well on smartphones:
  • Android browser: 68.5% (+8.1% from last month)
  • Chrome Mobile: 79.3% (+22.5% from last month)
There are two areas where I think Chrome could improve in terms of market share, and that is Windows mobile (either on phones or tablets), where Chrome isn't available, and iOS, where Chrome only has about 1% of market share. I realize that these platforms often don't allow implementation of the browser itself in their TOS, which effectively binds their hands to technologically innovate, and I'd encourage everybody to rectify these barriers to competition.

The problem is that other platforms/browsers with substantially lower support levels made inrods, and that for mysterious reasons, all browsers WebGL support level retreated on OSX.