Re: [Public WebGL] color buffer (half) float

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> Firefox has started to roll out WEBGL_color_buffer_float and
> OES_color_buffer_half_float unprefixed/on by default.

That's surprising. Thanks for pointing this out. I've emailed Mozilla
about this. The WebGL ecosystem has been successful to this point
because of rigorous testing of new features, and shipping these
extensions without tests -- and against the WebGL extension
development process -- breaks this track record.

> 1) Given that Mozilla doesn't ship fetaures that have no tests, I suspect
> there's a conformance test present for these extensions in Mozillas
> repositories. However, the conformance test is not present in the canonical
> conformance test suite of Khronos on Github. Could Mozilla please contribute
> those tests to the canonical conformance suite?
>
> 2) Are there any principal objections to start moving
> WEBGL_color_buffer_float and OES_color_buffer_float to community approved
> once test suites have been provided?

Yes. There is a significant technical issue with implementing
WEBGL_color_buffer_float on top of OpenGL ES 2.0, which is that there
is no ES 2.0 extension defining the behavior of color_buffer_float.
There was an attempt to implement EXT_color_buffer_half_float and
WEBGL_color_buffer_float both in ANGLE and Chrome a few months ago and
the code was simply incorrect. Adding these extensions to WebGL 2.0
will be trivial because it's based on OpenGL ES 3.0, on top of which
the underlying extensions are defined. I think that all WebGL
implementers' time should be invested in WebGL 2.0 specification,
conformance suite, and implementation work at this point, not adding
more extensions to WebGL 1.0 implementations.