Re: [Public WebGL] Re: EXT_sRGB and EXT_frag_depth to community approved

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:34 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> We're simply doing due diligence. Please give the ANGLE team a couple
>> of days. A significant number of Chrome users are on Windows, and I am
>> not ready to support moving this extension to community approved until
>> it's known it can be supported in ANGLE's ES2 implementation.
>

> Any progress on the Angle due diligence?
>
> - Direct3D 9 sRGB documentation (separate sampler state):
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb173460(v=vs.85).aspx
> - Direct3D 11 sRGB documentation (just a texture format):
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb173059(v=vs.85).aspx
> - Capability query in Direct3D:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb172583%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> - Direct3D variable controlling post blending conversion:
> POSTBLENDSRGBCONVERT

Yes. The ANGLE team's confirmed they are both able to implement, and
are currently implementing, EXT_sRGB for their ES 2.0 backend. I
withdraw my objections to moving this extension to community approved,
and since there weren't any other objections, will merge your pull
request now. Thanks for pushing on this.

Note that they discovered some differences between EXT_sRGB's and ES
3.0's requirements around mipmapping support for sRGB texture formats
(and internal formats). For this reason it is likely that EXT_sRGB
will be exposed as an extension in WebGL 1.0 in Chrome, but not in
WebGL 2.0, where sRGB support is built in to the core spec.