Re: [Public WebGL] Re: EXT_sRGB and EXT_frag_depth to community approved

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
We're simply doing due diligence. Please give the ANGLE team a couple
of days. A significant number of Chrome users are on Windows, and I am
not ready to support moving this extension to community approved until
it's known it can be supported in ANGLE's ES2 implementation.

By all means perform due diligence on it.

The all due haste I suggest stems from two factors, the first one is that EXT_sRGB has been in draft for 1.5 years. The second factor is that a scenario I was not not sure would come to pass (support for EXT_sRGB natively, but no support for ES3) has now come to pass with Apples foray into WebGL. So the import of clarifying the unequivocal support for this extension (which had been cast in doubt before) is that if it isn't done, the majority of iOS devices in use today, will never get to enjoy the improved graphics/performance this extension offers for high quality rendering. In a cruel twist of fate, it could turn out that the tardiness to ensure support on desktop, dooms mobiles yet again to second-class WebGL citizens. And that's what I'd like to avoid.