Re: [Public WebGL] Re: EXT_sRGB and EXT_frag_depth to community approved

It is not to tie WebGL to ANGLE, but whatever we implement, it should be supported on all major platforms.  If an extension doesn't have the potential to be supported on Windows, then maybe we should not support it at all.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:

Why? WebGL as a spec should not be gated on ANGLE, even if sometimes we get de facto blocked on the translator. If UAs are able to support an agreed-upon extension in the absence of ANGLE-D3D-backend support, should it be possible to promote from Draft? Apple, in particular, has no interest in the D3D backend, and neither do two of Mozilla's products.

In general, WebGL2 has a bunch of differences regarding how the internalFormat==format invariant no longer exists in ES3. sRGB won't be the only area with this issue.

-Jeff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth Russell" <kbr@google.com>
To: "Jeff Gilbert" <jgilbert@mozilla.com>
Cc: "Florian Bösch" <pyalot@gmail.com>, "public webgl" <public_webgl@khronos.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:18:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Re: EXT_sRGB and EXT_frag_depth to community approved

>From my standpoint it's a requirement that ANGLE expose the extension
in its ES 2.0 backend before the EXT_sRGB WebGL extension be moved to
community approved status. Shannon Woods from the ANGLE team has
pointed out an essential difference between EXT_sRGB and ES 3.0's
built-in sRGB functionality, which is that EXT_sRGB exposes sRGB
texture formats, while ES 3.0 exposes sRGB texture internal formats.
This might only be a minor issue to address but it needs to be
investigated. I've filed
https://code.google.com/p/angleproject/issues/detail?id=672 about it.

-Ken