Re: [Public WebGL] Re: EXT_sRGB and EXT_frag_depth to community approved

Interesting, I was just wondering about this. FWIW, implementation of extensions that are core in WebGL 2 shouldn't be much of a burden, since the mechanisms are similar in WebGL2 and the extensions. Internally, we use basically the same paths for the extension as our WebGL2 implementation.

-Jeff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florian Bösch" <pyalot@gmail.com>
To: "Kenneth Russell" <kbr@google.com>
Cc: "public webgl" <public_webgl@khronos.org>
Sent: Monday, June 9, 2014 9:18:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Re: EXT_sRGB and EXT_frag_depth to community approved

I think EXT_sRGB should be moved to community approved with all due haste
so as to avoid Mozilla having to retract their implementation, and so that
iOS can include the functionality.

These devices support EXT_sRGB natively.

- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5C
- iPhone 5s
- iPad Air
- iPad mini (and retina)
- iPod touch 5th gen
- Xiaomi MiniPad
- Samsung SM-G870

But these devices are not OpenGL ES 3.0 compatible:

- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 5
- iPHone 5C
- iPod touch 5G

Of These, the following are iOS8 compatible:

- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5C
- iPod touch 5G

If EXT_sRGB is dropped in favor of WebGL2, it means that Apple could not
include support for it in iOS8. That would mean that until Apple appears
with a WebGL2 implementation, sRGB will not be available on the the iPhone
5s, iPad Air and iPad mini. But worse, it would never be available on the
iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C and iPod touch 5G, which
represent a sizable bulk (the majority?) of iOS devices in use, and cannot
support WebGL2.