Re: [Public WebGL] OES_texture_half_float doesn't allow Tex(Sub)Image2D to take ArrayBuffers as input

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic
<vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 2/20/2014 7:02 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>
> And on that note, I'm going to propose an extension soonish to do the
> ArrayBuffer case -- add entry points that take an ArrayBuffer, offset,
> length.  I've seen JS code that runs into this where it loads a blob of data
> from network/file/wherever and then wants to upload it needing to create a
> bunch of unnecessary views.  We're also running into this a lot with
> Emscripten/asm.js code, where the views end up being unnecessary GC objects
> created/destroyed where we have no need of any GC objects.
>
> Allocation of these objects should be cheap in most JavaScript engines
> today, and as I pointed out before, taking ArrayBufferView here
> instead of ArrayBuffer offers some semblance of type checking of the
> incoming data. Also, uploading and updating textures is already a
> relatively expensive operation. Do you have data that shows a marked
> performance increase by adding overloads taking raw ArrayBuffers?
>

> Despite cheap nursery GC objects, one reason for using a ArrayBuffer +
> offset + length instead of a new GC object is that it lets us make that call
> when creating a new GC object would be problematic. asm.js is one such
> context; with some API calls, we could reference the asm.js heap directly as
> the AB, and internally emit a call straight from the asm.js code block to
> the webgl function without having to jit some regular JS in between.  Doing
> *that* part is not that expensive, but it limits some experimentation we'd
> like to do around shared arraybuffers and similar (basically, figuring out
> what limits we can impose on them reasonably).  That said, as long as
> ArrayBufferView wasn't really a view (that is, as long as you can't
> read/write the contents using one -- it would need to purely be an opaque
> buffer region, really just an ArrayBuffer), we could optimize that creation
> out... but would be nice to avoid it in the first place.
>
> I guess the pros and cons look like this, and they're directly opposite of
> each other:
>
> ArrayBuffer + offset + length
> pro - no GC objects created (perf-neutral, but nice for asm.js context)
> middle ground - errors (incorrect offset, length, alignment) come purely as
> GL errors (INVALID_VALUE)
> neg - no way to pass a simple object around that's a subregion of an
> ArrayBuffer (e.g. to be able to create views of it using its built-in
> offset)
>
> ArrayBufferView
> con - GC object is created (perf-neutral, more work for asm.js context)
> middle ground, somewhat con - errors come as a mix; offset/length errors
> come as JS exceptions during ABV construction, alignment errors come as GL
> errors (though that's similar to what happens today with the typed views)
> pro - you can create an ABV and pass it around masquerading as a full AB, so
> that things can create views of a sub-region without worrying about managing
> the offset themselves

> [...]

Adding a new way to opaquely reference a sub-portion of an ArrayBuffer
would make the API significantly more complex, and introduce other
complications with existing concepts like Transferable.

Upon more thought, would you propose an extension which contains new
texImage2D and texSubImage2D entry points taking (ArrayBuffer, offset,
length)? That could be used to experiment with uploading textures from
asm.js's heap, and SharedArrayBuffers, portably across browsers.