Re: [Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod

I do think that for a substantial amount of time, WebGL 1.0 will be around in substantial percentage. The reasons for that I see in the following:
So offering functionality in WebGL 1.0, that is present in WebGL 2.0 does make a lot of sense, I'd think for the next 5 years or so. It allows non ES 3.0 devices to expose the functionality they have. It allows some vendors to adopt the features before their WebGL 2.0 implementation will arrive.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
Thanks Florian and Ken :)  I agree about the tradeoff implementations need to make -- in many cases it's less of a tradeoff as it might seem, because implementing an extension might be the same as implementing that piece of WebGL 2 functionality.  In this case though there's explicit work that would need to be done for WebGL 1 impls (to support shader version 100 shaders with this extension).  Luckily, it's a fairly small amount of work.

    - vlad