Re: [Public WebGL] GL_RENDERER string needed for performant apps

If we've never seen a RENDERER string before obviously we can't know much about it. We can then rely on the capabilities we are able to query to determine what the device is capable of. If it turns out not to be performant, we can adapt and potentially learn from that experience so that future users don't get any bad performance. As Brandon points out, we can learn from this a lot faster than new data can be pushed to browsers. It also turns out to be less of a problem because most (sadly not all) new GPUs are performant enough to matter less (nVidia's lowest end 800 series GPU will certainly across the board outperform the lowest end hardware we currently support).

Sanitizing the renderer string means that often the same GPU will give slightly different GL_RENDERER strings based on OS, driver, etc. We apply a sanitization process to attempt to extract a meaningful GPU identifier. We would be fine with only receiving the strings post sanitization, but defining a useful and common method for sanitization would be very difficult.

-Brian