Re: [Public WebGL] GL_RENDERER string needed for performant apps

On 16 Jan 2014, at 2:04 am, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 1/15/14 4:02 AM, Dean Jackson wrote:
>
> > “ooh, a fairly wealthy individual, maybe she’s interested in holidays
> > to Maldives”
>
> Or "maybe we should show them a higher price for this item".  A number of retailers are already experimenting with this sort of differential pricing based on whatever information they can get on the user….

Right and, as I said in another email, this is a real example of a relatively large, recent purchase by the user that would be exposed by GL_RENDERER. Some people might think that’s ok, but we’d have to make the decision for *all* users.

>> At the moment I see some hesitation from Mozilla, but maybe due to fears of
>> UA sniffing rather than privacy?
>
> What you've seen so far is me (not Mozilla officially) not being entirely unconvinced that the UA sniffing issue is as irrelevant as people seem to think it is.

I remain unconvinced as well.

> The privacy situation is separate from those concerns, and as you said decided on a much higher level.  I can't speak to what our position on that is in this instance yet, though historically we've been very leery of exposing this sort of information.

Agreed.

Dean