Re: [Public WebGL] GL_RENDERER string needed for performant apps

To the point about the whitelist vs blacklist, I think there are a couple of things that will lead this to be used as a blacklist.  First, the conformance tests drive standardization of whether things work or not, and specific extensions point to functionality availability.  This means that in general this should not need to be used for whether something works.  Secondly, the sheer number of GPUs and the rate at which new ones are added also lead towards a blacklist approach - as an app, we want to make sure people get the best experience possible, which means features and performance.  Using a whitelist would mean excluding a large number of potential users as new GPUs come online that don't need to be excluded, which directly goes against our goals.

~Jennifer