Re: [Public WebGL] GL_RENDERER string needed for performant apps

On 14 Jan 2014, at 10:39 am, Jennifer Maurer <maurerj@google.com> wrote:

The Google Maps and Chrome teams recently conducted an experiment where the GL_RENDERER string was made available via WebGL for 5% of users, so that the performance implications could be quantified. Using this data we have conclusively determined that access to the GL_RENDERER string is required in order to provide a good user experience in the new Maps product, which uses WebGL as its preferred rendering API.

In response, Google Chrome plans to enable access to the WEBGL_debug_renderer_info extension universally, allowing all WebGL applications to access this information. Ideally, we would like all WebGL implementers to follow suit, in order to provide the best user experience for the new Maps and other complex WebGL applications.

Apple takes a very strong position on user privacy, and is reluctant to expose any user information to third parties (in this case the web page/server). I expect any decision to enable these extensions in Safari will require a lot of internal discussion.

I’m not formally objecting to removing the security warnings because I see the benefits of a developer knowing the hardware capabilities, but I ask the group to hold off making a decision on this for at least a couple of weeks while I can get some people to look at the proposal.

Dean

In addition, we are petitioning the WebGL working group to remove the security warnings from this and the WEBGL_debug_shaders extensions, as we believe that exposing this information is not as privacy-sensitive as once feared, and the benefits of making it available to real-world WebGL applications have been clearly demonstrated.

Please send feedback on this plan and the proposal for the WebGL extensions to the mailing list.

For further information, please see http://goo.gl/dxRdGS
~Jennifer