Re: [Public WebGL] GL_RENDERER string needed for performant apps

The problem with the user agent string was people used it as a substitute for feature detection, so when browsers added features they had to spoof user agents. This happened mostly because browsers exposed completely different APIs for the same features, requiring different code to achieve the same results.

I don't see this becoming a problem with WebGL, because when a feature is present the API is exactly the same across vendors, and we already have explicit feature detection built into the standard. We aren't going to use GL_RENDERER as a substitute for feature detection. It's actually more work to parse GL_RENDERER than to use the feature detection APIs that already exist. We need GL_RENDERER for performance estimation and for bug hunting.