Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: ASTC

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2014, at 7:51 am, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like an interesting format, but I'd suggests that speccing it out for
> WebGL may be putting the cart before the horse since:
>
> 1) The spec is based on ES 3.0, which implies this would be a WebGL 2.0
> extension. Since we've yet to see any WebGL 2.0 implementations, that makes
> this something of a theoretical exercise.
>

> That’s a good point. However, ASTC is the direction Khronos is heading. It’s
> a ratified extension. (I guess that makes it the direction Khronos *has*
> headed :)
> https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-atsc-next-generation-texture-compression-specification
>
> So I think that this might be a special case worth considering.

I think it would be worth putting together a WebGL extension proposal
depending on the draft WebGL 2 specification, in order to enumerate
the same constraints on compressed data size, etc. that are in the
other WebGL compressed texture extensions.

Please feel free to submit a pull request.

-Ken