Re: [Public WebGL] Extension proposal: ASTC

On 4 Jan 2014, at 7:51 am, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com> wrote:

Looks like an interesting format, but I'd suggests that speccing it out for WebGL may be putting the cart before the horse since:

1) The spec is based on ES 3.0, which implies this would be a WebGL 2.0 extension. Since we've yet to see any WebGL 2.0 implementations, that makes this something of a theoretical exercise.

That’s a good point. However, ASTC is the direction Khronos is heading. It’s a ratified extension. (I guess that makes it the direction Khronos *has* headed :)

So I think that this might be a special case worth considering.

2) Implementing WebGL features to support iOS seems slightly silly when iOS has yet to make any indications that it will support WebGL. (I suspect though, that if and when such support does appear then extensions like this will quickly be in high demand.)

Understood. Although, again, this isn’t an iOS or Apple format. I think the original proposal came from ARM. I wouldn’t be surprised if many OpenGL ES 3.0 devices had support (e.g. Mali - but I haven’t checked).

Dean

--Brandon