Re: [Public WebGL] If you can create N contexts, should you always be able to create N+1 contexts?

I believe we already have a place for these tests in the 'extra' folder. It would be nice to make them a little more visible, though. (particularly if we're going to add to them)

-Jeff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benoit Jacob" <bjacob@mozilla.com>
To: "Mark Callow" <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp>, "Kenneth Russell" <kbr@google.com>
Cc: "public webgl" <public_webgl@khronos.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 5, 2013 5:09:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] If you can create N contexts, should you always be able to create N+1 contexts?

On 13-12-04 09:39 PM, Mark Callow wrote:

> On 2013/12/05 4:00, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>> OK, great. Thanks. If anyone else has concerns at any time, please follow up.
> If something is not in the spec. it cannot be required for conformance.
>
> Maybe we need a non-mustpass category for tests like this.

Yes, this was basically my concern above. What made me not exceedingly
worried about this is that this is something that current browsers
already have to have a solution for in order to behave well in the real
world; the solution adopted by at least Firefox and Chrome is to lose
the oldest-used context when creating a new context, after a certain
number of contexts has been reached, and while that is not a full
solution to this problem, it is enough to pass the conformance test
discussed here; until an alternative to doing this is found by some
browser, and that alternative doesn't pass the conformance test, the
problem with this conformance test remains somewhat abstract.

> Benoit Jacob wrote:

>> Luckily, we always have the option of context loss. I am unsure whether it
>> is currently conformant for getContext to return a context already in lost
>> state (and generate webglcontextlost immediately)? 2.1 Context Creation says

>> Note that such lost contexts should not be restorable, or else the
>> application would typically enter an infinite cycle of trying to restore
>> that context.
> Why not? If some other webgl browser-window or tab is closed so a
> hardware context becomes available why can't you give it to this app.
> and fire contextrestored?
Yes, if some event happens that gives a reasonable chance for context
creation to succeed again, then it's reasonable to fire contextrestored.

Benoit