Re: [Public WebGL] Ancillary files

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On 03/08/2013, at 4:10 AM, Mark Callow <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Seeing all the ancilliary files in the pull request, that result from
> rebuilding the extension repository, reminds of something I've been meaning
> to propose. Why don't we limit the Git repo to true source files (i.e. the
> xml and xsl files and scripts, etc.) and have submissions trigger rebuilding
> the extension repository. Nothing that results from the build should be
> versioned in Git. It is unnecessary and tends to complicate gets and merges.
>

> Yeah. That's a good suggestion.

This is a good suggestion. The primary concern I have with making this
change is that it will make the steps run on Khronos' servers after
every git commit more complex. If a change to the repository causes
those steps to fail -- or worse, requires them to be updated -- then
manual intervention is needed, which is a major pain.

It looks like a 'make clean' followed by a 'make' in the extensions
directory should be robust, though. I'll ask Khronos' webmaster to add
those steps to the update process. At that point it should be possible
to delete the generated sources from the git repository.

> I'd like to fix up a few minor spec things similar to that:
>
> - There are some spec snapshots of particular revisions. They could probably
> be added as tags (although I'm not yet sure how much of the SVN history was
> preserved)

It should be safe to delete these snapshots at this point. They've
been preserved elsewhere.

> - The sections in the specification need named ids. At the moment the ids
> are generated with a section number, which is fine except makes it more
> likely an external
> reference to a particular section will break.

Yes. This is a significant problem. Any work in this area would be great.