Re: [Public WebGL] Specifying the behavior of bindXXX when passed a deleted resource

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Zhenyao Mo <zmo@chromium.org> wrote:
I vote for following closely to the GL behaviors, i.e.,

1) bind a texture/render_buffer/buffer that's deleted will generate an
error, the object becomes invalid as soon as delete* is called.

But it's not GL behavior. Current GL behavior is quirky.

   GLuint id = 123;
   glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, id);  // make a texture with name 123
   glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fb);
   glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_2D, id, 0);
   glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0);
   glDeleteTexture(1, &id);  // the texture is now marked for deletion but it is not deleted

   // ask what texture is on the framebuffer
   glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fb);
   GLint v;
   glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_OBJECT_NAME, &v);
   printf ("%d\n", v);  // prints 123

   // so bind that texture.
   glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, v);  // this creates a new texture.

There's now 2 textures with id 123. One you can bind, one you can't

What I'm suggesting is that textures in WebGL should work like programs.

   var tex = gl.createTexture();
   gl.bindTexture(gl.TEXTURE_2D, tex);
   gl.bindFramebuffer(gl.FRAMEBUFFER, fb);
   gl.framebufferTexture2D(gl.FRAMEBUFFER, gl.COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, gl.TEXTURE_2D, id, 0);
   gl.bindFramebuffer(gl.FRAMEBUFFER, null);
   gl.deleteTexture(tex);  // the texture is now marked for deletion but it is not deleted

   // ask what texture is on the framebuffer
   gl.bindFramebuffer(gl.FRAMEBUFFER, fb);
   var attachment = gl.getFramebufferAttachmentParameter(gl.FRAMEBUFFER, gl.COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, gl.FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_OBJECT_NAME);

   assert(attachment == tex);

   // so bind that texture.
   gl.bindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex);

safe, even though the texture has been marked as deleted since all references were never released it's still safe to bind it.
It would only go away when the last reference went away so if you followed all that with

   gl.deleteFramebuffer(fb);  // loses the reference on the framebuffer
   gl.bindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, null);  // loses the reference on the context we just added 2 lines up

The texture is now deleted.

   gl.bindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex);  // INVALID_VALUE, texture has been deleted.

Which is exactly how programs work.

2) useProgram / attachShader and other queries are still valid when
deleteProgram / deleteShader is called but they haven't been truly
deleted yet.

Mo