Re: [Public WebGL] Updating the Spec W.R.T. preserveDrawingBuffer = false

This change would make life much simpler for developers. The request
comes from the Google Maps and Feedback teams, so is motivated by
real-world applications and libraries.

For background, preserveDrawingBuffer=false was intended to reduce
memory bandwidth on WebGL implementations on mobile devices (tiled
architectures in particular) using EXT_discard_framebuffer and similar
extensions. The idea is that when the current WebGL frame is handed to
the web page compositor, DiscardFramebufferEXT is called. The rendered
output is then only available to the web page compositor; the
application no longer has access to it.

iOS's EAGLContext [1], CAEAGLLayer [2], and EAGLDrawable [3] also
informed the design of preserveDrawingBuffer=false. The goal was to
allow kEAGLDrawablePropertyRetainedBacking to be set to NO on the
layer backing the WebGL-rendered canvas.

This proposed preserveDrawingBuffer change probably would not decrease
WebGL's efficiency in the majority of browsers and on the majority of
OSs. The browser can still use DiscardFramebufferEXT for the depth and
stencil buffers when presenting the WebGL canvas to the compositor. In
my understanding, it's never been possible to discard the color
buffer, because the page compositor needs it in case the page needs to
be redrawn using the same WebGL results from the previous frame. Since
the color buffer is always available after compositing, it can be made
available to toDataURL and other APIs at no cost.

It looks to me like the only outstanding question is whether this
change to preserveDrawingBuffer=false would eliminate an important
optimization opportunity on iOS. Questions for Apple:

(1) Does the WebGL implementation in iAds use
kEAGLDrawablePropertyRetainedBacking=NO for WebGL? In particular, if
the web page compositor needs to redraw the page and display the last
frame's WebGL results, does that work?

(2) What about (potential) printing of WebGL content in Safari for
iOS? Would that work with kEAGLDrawablePropertyRetainedBacking=NO?

Do other WebGL implementers have feedback on the proposal?

Thanks,

-Ken

[1] http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/opengles/reference/EAGLContext_ClassRef/Reference/EAGLContext.html
[2] http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/QuartzCore/Reference/CAEAGLLayer_Class/CAEGLLayer/CAEGLLayer.html