Re: [Public WebGL] IMPORTANT: Your WebGL floating point texture usage needs to be fixed!!!!

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilbert@mozilla.com> wrote:
Benoit appears to be technically correct.

You're right. The case of an un-filterable texture is not mentioned in ES 2.0 at all I think.

GLES2's 3.8.2 doesn't actually appear to apply to incomplete textures with LINEAR (or NEAREST), only to incomplete textures with MIPMAP_NEAREST/MIPMAP_LINEAR, and to 2d textures with NEAREST/LINEAR with one of its width or height being negative, and to NPOT cases with non-CLAMP_TO_EDGE wrapping.

Just to be clear, it doesn't say width or height being negative. It says width or height being "not positive". In other words <= 0 is black, not just < 0.

WebGL's spec doesn't seem to modify this.

GLES3, however, does fix this language in section 3.9.2:
  If a sampler is used in a fragment shader and the sampler’s associated texture
  is not complete, as defined in section 3.8.13, (0,0,0,1) will be returned for a non-
  shadow sampler and 0 for a shadow sampler.

We should probably adopt GLES3's language. (sans shadow sampler language, since we don't have that)

We'd probably have to add the this segment as well to the texture complete definition

The internalformat specified for the texture arrays is a sized internal color format that is not texture-filterable (see table 3.12), and either the magnification filter is not NEAREST or the minification filter is neither NEAREST nor NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST.

Though we'd have to get rid of the "sized internal color format" requirement since there are no such things in ES 2.0

-Jeff

PS: Initial values for MIN/MAG are in 3.7.12:
  In the initial state, the value assigned to TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER is NEAREST_-
  MIPMAP_LINEAR, and the value for TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER is LINEAR. s and t wrap
  modes are both set to REPEAT.