Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL API request: asynchronous texture uploads

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Ben Vanik <benvanik@google.com> wrote:
> Gregg, I still am not sure how WebGL in workers helps with removing
> jankiness caused by long/many texture uploads. It doesn't matter what thread
> is driving the drawing - it *must* run under 16ms, or animations will skip.
> Can you explain how you see it helping?
>
> I still see a strong need for async texture upload and async read pixels.
> The only way of removing the need for those APIs, as I see it, is resource
> sharing between multiple contexts operating in separate threads. That'd be
> awesome, too, but would require a significant amount more work for a
> developer to get going than a simple readPixelsAsync call and is a pretty
> disappointing answer to the problem.

Sorry for jumping in here, but I disagree with the statement that the
general solution of WebGL in workers plus resource sharing is a
"pretty disappointing answer to the problem".

It would be disappointing if every expensive operation in WebGL --
shader compilation, texture uploads, pixel readback, ... -- required a
new, specialized, asynchronous API. With the infrastructure work Gregg
has already done spec'ing out resource sharing and WebGL in workers,
as well as implementing them in Chrome, we're close to seeing
prototypes in action. Let's complete this effort and see how well it
works in practice.

-Ken