Re: [Public WebGL] 2d canvas context to WebGL

One of our frameworks draws into a 2d canvas, transfers it to WebGL, runs a shader and then brings the result back.
Just copying a 500x500 canvas to and from WebGL takes:
- 16ms on Chrome
- 14ms on Firefox
- 40ms on Safari

This is way to slow to make fluid animations such as this one: http://ads2.msads.net/CIS/48/000/000/000/039/337.swf?fd=www.msn.com (sorry for the flash movie). If you look closely, you will see that the text is blurred during the animation.
In most (all?) implementations, the canvas bits were already on the GPU so this time *could* be brought down to zero.

Safari is twice as bad as chrome and Firefox. This is probably caused by the optimizations you mentioned.

The bug you mentioned is because of synchronous readback, Ideally there would be no readback at all  :-)