Re: [Public WebGL] For review: ANGLE_timer_query extension

No. This stupid, and I won't condone it. You're just hiding a handle, that could conveniently be used, behind an obsucre and unnessesary mechanism forcing everybody to write glue code for nothing. Just so you can have a cumbersome and standards incompatible API no OpenGL programmer who's read the ARB spec understands. No, just no. I won't have it. It's stupid. FFS. just drop it.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Arnaud, Remi <Remi.Arnaud@amd.com> wrote:
IMHO, the API I proposed prevents 'spinners', allow more than one query to be 'polled' in a single frame (not waiting for glFinish())

This should make both of you happy?

-- Remi

From: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:49 PM

To: Rémi Arnaud <remi.arnaud@amd.com>
Cc: Rémi Arnaud <jsremi@gmail.com>, Ben Vanik <benvanik@google.com>, "owner-public_webgl@khronos.org" <owner-public_webgl@khronos.org>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>, Gregg Tavares <gman@google.com>, Public Webgl <public_webgl@khronos.org>, Brian Cornell <bcornell@google.com>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] For review: ANGLE_timer_query extension

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Arnaud, Remi <Remi.Arnaud@amd.com> wrote:
As I understand , you want to limit usage to let the user access the query values of a frame ONLY in the next frame.
I think that would be a bad idea. But what Greg wants to achieve with this is to prevent people from writing spinners, which are likely to become deadspinners since queue synchronization would only happen at flip, which can't happen unless JS ends, which means JS hangs. Or it just gets sluggish until the driver queue has cought up.