Re: [Public WebGL] OES_texture_float_linear and OES_texture_half_float_linear extension proposals

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Mark Callow <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp> wrote:
> I've been out sick. Sorry for the subsequent delay in replying.

No problem.

> On 2013/02/22 3:38, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>
> Mark, I understand your concern about promoting desktop-only extensions.
>
> When writing the WebGL conformance test for OES_texture_float I
> neglected to test and forbid the use of linear filtering, so existing
> applications are already using linear filtering on FP textures. ...
>
> Can you be convinced to drop your objection?
>
> Perhaps. This is the second time we've had an issue like this. We need to
> pay more attention to what the underlying OpenGL ES specification permits
> and exactly what new functionality is enabled by a given extension.

Understood. I don't anticipate this sort of issue coming up much more
as the focus turns to integrating ES 3.0 functionality into WebGL,
rather than providing extensions which add missing functionality.

> Will implementers provide this extension?

Yes, the intent is to provide it (and a conformance test) ASAP so that
authors can reliably test whether they can use linear filtering with
FP and half-FP textures.

> As far as I know nobody has yet
> implemented {EXT,WEBGL}_color_buffer_{half_,}float which are intended to fix
> the previous cock-up.

Yes, that's true, and sorry about that. We can try to prioritize
implementing these, but have to balance them with other priorities
like passing the new 1.0.2 conformance suite.

-Ken