Re: [Public WebGL] OES_texture_float_linear and OES_texture_half_float_linear extension proposals

On 2013/03/07 18:39, Florian Bösch wrote:

- For WebGL there can't be an implementation yet because those extensions are not in draft.
They are in draft and have been for many months.
So arguing against an extension in WebGL because it's not implemented, for an extension that's forbidden to be implemented yet. This my friend is circular reasoning, and I wasn't even addressing that part of your statement because it seemed too unlikely you where to want to make this case.
I'm asking if anyone is going to fix their implementations of OES_texture_{half_,}float, if we create the extension. If not, there is not a lot of point wasting further effort.

- You where also claiming you don't know anybody who implements {half}_linear yet, which is untrue as I have shown, see my previous statement "OES_texture_half_float_linear: supported by 417/1180 devices"
I made no such claim. You really need to read what people write *before* you let your emotions get the better of you. I did claim, and your figures backed it up, that float_linear is not supported on embedded.

This did not "slip trough". It was introduced as the 35th extension in one bundle. The extensions are now at #149. float_linear was "Ratified by the Khronos BOP, July 22, 2005."
You have had more nearly 8 years to ponder this question. Are you suggesting to withdraw this OES extension from the khronos registry 8 years after it was approved?
Of course not.

"Standard feature" here means a standard feature of OpenGL ES, i.e. available in all implementations.
None of the extensions are "standard features". A standard feature is when the core specification of the API specification declares it a standard feature. That is why they are extensions.
Doh!! Clearly you think I'm an idiot.

The problem is a lot of people who make decisions about which embedded GPU hardware/IP to buy/license for their devices do not understand graphics well and operate from checklists on which anything branded OES has a habit of appearing. This puts pressure on vendors to provide those extensions. For that reason we are, usually, careful about what gets branded OES.

Given that almost 8 years have passed, there are still no implementations on any ES 2.0 devices and the functionality has not been included in ES 3.0, one can safely say that it was premature. This passage of time without implementations provides an interesting counterpoint to the previous paragraph which reflects a commonly held belief in the WG.

Regards

    -Mark