Re: [Public WebGL] EME and its interaction with WebGL

Ultimately what the EME player plugins need to do is to directly draw into the computers drawing buffer, and they cannot contain a software path, so it pretty much means that the browser passes the plugin a rect to play in, and the rest is up to the plugin, including drawing.

- texImage2D will fail on encrypted video
- CSS shaders won't work
- CSS transforms won't work
- Canvas2D won't work
- Encrypted video is laying on top of everything else (like in the good old days of flash)
- Nothing on the web will work with them, except displaying a Rect on top of everything else whatever it contains.

Problem solved.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:

"Arnaud, Remi" <Remi.Arnaud@amd.com>, 2013-02-28 17:26 +0000:

> My understanding from the business perspective is that EME will restrict
> high quality/ high resolution content, but will still provide lower
> quality video as fallback when the system fails to setup a fully secured
> pipeline.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, That's not what the EME spec
itself says. It just says that if the client can't play the encrypted
stream, then it must report a particular error.  It's up to the Web
application to handle that error. The spec doesn't state any requirements
for how the UA should handle it beyond just reporting it.

So a Web application could fall back to showing some alternative
lower-quality unencrypted video if the content provider makes one
available, but there's no requirement that any particular content provider
will, nor that every application will show it even if it is available.

> In other words, just like Benoit says, webGL may never be allowed access
> to EME content - but will still be able to use lower quality videos of
> the same content.

Only in a Web app that actually handles the "I can't play this encrypted
stream" error by showing a lower-quality video instead.

  --Mike