Re: [Public WebGL] EME and its interaction with WebGL

"Arnaud, Remi" <Remi.Arnaud@amd.com>, 2013-02-28 17:26 +0000:

> My understanding from the business perspective is that EME will restrict
> high quality/ high resolution content, but will still provide lower
> quality video as fallback when the system fails to setup a fully secured
> pipeline.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, That's not what the EME spec
itself says. It just says that if the client can't play the encrypted
stream, then it must report a particular error.  It's up to the Web
application to handle that error. The spec doesn't state any requirements
for how the UA should handle it beyond just reporting it.

So a Web application could fall back to showing some alternative
lower-quality unencrypted video if the content provider makes one
available, but there's no requirement that any particular content provider
will, nor that every application will show it even if it is available.

> In other words, just like Benoit says, webGL may never be allowed access
> to EME content - but will still be able to use lower quality videos of
> the same content.

Only in a Web app that actually handles the "I can't play this encrypted
stream" error by showing a lower-quality video instead.

  --Mike