Re: [Public WebGL] [Typed Array] ArrayBuffer Method Request - Dispose

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Gregg Tavares <gman@google.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Gregg Tavares <gman@google.com> wrote:
typed arrays are garbage collected just like all JS objects. You can just as easily make large strings or large _javascript_ arrays. _javascript_ will release any unreferenced typed array on it's own just fine. If you have a reproducible case where a typed array is not getting released file a bug for that browser.

The problem isn't that the memory isn't released, quite the contrary, the problem is that the memory is often released at the wrong time, e.g. in the middle of filling a buffer with audio (if you fail at filling the buffer quickly enough, your sounds won't make it to the speakers) or during a drawing operation, causing jitter in the frame rate. Having a manual dispose function to free the buffer would for example let the developer free the memory for example after the buffer is filled with audio, thus reducing the risk of artifacts in the sound.

You're making a huge assumption that calling dispose would some how magically be (a) fast and (b) effect allocation speed later.

What makes you think so?

a) No, I don't expect it to be any faster than garbage collection.
b) What? Where did you get this?

The point is that the deallocation, however slow or fast, happens at a suitable time.

Cheers,
Jussi

Cheers,
Jussi