Re: [Public WebGL] OES_texture_float_linear and OES_texture_half_float_linear extension proposals

Mark, I understand your concern about promoting desktop-only extensions.

When writing the WebGL conformance test for OES_texture_float I
neglected to test and forbid the use of linear filtering, so existing
applications are already using linear filtering on FP textures. As
Florian points out, certain advanced rendering techniques such as
Variance Shadow Maps require it. Also, exposing only
OES_texture_half_float_linear and not OES_texture_float_linear would
be quite asymmetric. I would like to continue to enable in WebGL the
rendering techniques that FP textures + linear filtering have enabled.
The same applications can target half-float textures and
OES_texture_half_float_linear with little code change if they want to
target mobile hardware and can tolerate a loss of precision.
Alternatively, they could implement filtering manually in their shader
if they knew OES_texture_float_linear was not available.

Can you be convinced to drop your objection?

Mozilla, Apple, Opera, could you please provide your input? Others?

-Ken