Re: [Public WebGL] Should GLfloat and GLclampf be typedefs for "unrestricted float"?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 11/28/12 2:55 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>>
>> http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/ has been updated
>> with these changes. Throughout the spec, sequence<float> has been
>> replaced with sequence<GLfloat>. Please review.
>

> Looks good.
>

>> There are potentially some return values that need to be updated too:
>> getParameter(DEPTH_CLEAR_VALUE), getUniform, etc. I think the best way
>> to address this would be to reuse the GL typedefs at the top of the
>> file throughout the spec rather than referring to Web IDL primitive
>> types directly. Do you agree?
>

> That makes sense, yes.

The editor's draft of the WebGL spec, and the associated IDL, have
been updated to use the GL typedefs everywhere:

  https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/
  https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/119

The majority of the changes were in the tables of return values of
methods like getParameter, getBufferParameter, etc. The most
semantically correct types were chosen throughout; in particular, for
queries returning symbolic constants, GLenum was used for the return
value instead of GLuint.

>> https://www.khronos.org/registry/typedarray/specs/latest/typedarray.idl
>

> Ah, excellent.  Yeah, this should use unrestricted float/double.

The editor's draft of the typed array spec and IDL have been updated
as well to both define the Web IDL types for the base types of the
typed array views, and to use "unrestricted" for float and double:

  http://www.khronos.org/registry/typedarray/specs/latest/
  svn diff -r20017:20018
https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/typedarray

All, please review these changes and send any comments to the list.

Thanks,

-Ken