On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
does that getContext conceptually create a Drawingbuffer and call setDrawingbuffer on the canvas, as well as call bindDrawingbuffer on the gl context?
Yes

Is Drawingbuffer webgl-specific, or a general abstraction? (Bikeshed note: we need a better name than "Drawingbuffer" IMO...). However, we'd still need to determine the types of contexts that it can be used with if it's general.  Maybe something like:
We've iterated this already on this thread in October, Frontbuffer was worse, framebuffer is easily confused with framebuffer object, drawingbuffer is actually a pretty good description.

gl = new WebGLRenderingContext();
db1 = gl.createDrawingBuffer({ depth: false });
canvas.displayDrawingBuffer(db1);  // setDrawingBuffer on the canvas seems like a weird API name, as we're really choosing what buffer to display; what buffer is drawn to is selected by the context
How about canvas.setDisplayBuffer(db1) ?

twodee = Canvas2DRenderingContext();
db2 = twodee.createDrawingBuffer({ doubleBuffer: true });
canvas.displayDrawingBuffer(db2);  // is this legal; canvas originally displayed a webgl buffer?
It should be legal in my opinion to attach an entirely different drawing buffer to the same canvas. The context specificity goes with the drawing buffer.

db1 = new Drawingbuffer("webgl", { depth: false });
db2 = new Drawingbuffer("2d", { doubleBuffer: true });
It's an interesting question, I might be wrong but people where arguing for a context independent way to create drawing buffers (somewhere back in october?).