Re: [Public WebGL] Implement extension EXT_frag_depth in WebGL

On 2012/12/04 3:22, Florian Bösch wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
Slight concern that it seems to be supported on
very few mobile devices.
I find that odd as well. Especially given that ES 2.0 was modelled after OGL 3.0 which has included that capability for nearly a decade. But I wouldn't be concerned about it for two reasons really:
I don't know what gave you that idea. OpenGL 3.0 was released in August 2008, OpenGL ES 2.0 in March 2007.  Clearly it is based on OpenGL 2.0.
1) It's coming anyway with ES 3.0 and presumably as vendors start supporting ES 3.0 support will go up.
2) I have a hard time imagining that it's actually absent in the hardware (after all it has been core part of any programmable hardware since a decade). I suspect it's just not exposed by the driver. So most likely vendors can provide a lot of support with a firmware update.
I don't think the vendors have any interest in keeping features concealed. If it was in the hardware they would advertise the extension.

Regards

    -Mark