Re: [Public WebGL] Antialiasing being disabled on some Mac OS hardware

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> On 01/12/2012, at 4:38 AM, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Tony Parisi <tparisi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Any progress on a permanent resolution for this bug?
>

> The permanent resolution is for either Apple or the Chipset manufacturers to
> fix the driver issues, which means you're unlikely to hear about progress
> until the fix is live. The browsers themselves have no way to work around it
> in the meantime, unfortunately. (Believe me, if I had a way to fix it
> browser-side I'd be working on it right now!)
>
>> This is a huge deal for some of us. [...] Without it, WebGL is fairly
>> useless, a step back to the horrible old days of the late '90's trying sell
>> 3D when the final image didn't look as good as a Flash animation. We *can't*
>

> While I don't disagree with you about the fact that render quality is
> important, I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that WebGL is "useless"
> without antialiasing. That's a fairly subjective and use-case specific
> matter.
>

>> If Apple isn't going to fix it soon, is there any chance we could ask the
>> browser makers to de-implement the current fix, or at least somehow make it
>> conditional with a different antialias flag or a "really, I mean it, I want
>> antialiasing!" API call???
>

> Sorry, but this is a security issue, which means that the browsers are going
> to take a very strict, no-compromises approach to it. You wouldn't ask them
> to turn off cross-site scripting protection, would you? Besides, as you
> pointed out above, such a flag would only benefit your system, not anyone
> else you send a link to.
>

>> This is a really bad development.
>

> I couldn't agree with you more, but it's not in our hands right now. If you
> are passionate about getting this fixed you need to make noise where Apple
> can hear you.
>

> .... and that place is
>
> http://bugreporter.apple.com/
>
> If antialiasing is important to you please file a report there. Maybe Ken
> could share the bug ids that he filed on this? That way any new bugs could
> reference them which helps them get screened faster.

Brandon filed all of the bugs:

Radar 12557679: Corruption of OpenGL Multisample Renderbuffers with
NVIDIA chipsets
Radar 12639357: Multisample Renderbuffer issue on Intel
Radar 12752351: Corruption of OpenGL Multisample Renderbuffers with AMD chipsets

-Ken