Re: [Public WebGL] Antialiasing being disabled on some Mac OS hardware

On 01/12/2012, at 4:38 AM, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Tony Parisi <tparisi@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Any progress on a permanent resolution for this bug?

The permanent resolution is for either Apple or the Chipset manufacturers to fix the driver issues, which means you're unlikely to hear about progress until the fix is live. The browsers themselves have no way to work around it in the meantime, unfortunately. (Believe me, if I had a way to fix it browser-side I'd be working on it right now!)

This is a huge deal for some of us. [...] Without it, WebGL is fairly useless, a step back to the horrible old days of the late '90's trying sell 3D when the final image didn't look as good as a Flash animation. We *can't* go back there.

While I don't disagree with you about the fact that render quality is important, I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that WebGL is "useless" without antialiasing. That's a fairly subjective and use-case specific matter.

If Apple isn't going to fix it soon, is there any chance we could ask the browser makers to de-implement the current fix, or at least somehow make it conditional with a different antialias flag or a "really, I mean it, I want antialiasing!" API call???

Sorry, but this is a security issue, which means that the browsers are going to take a very strict, no-compromises approach to it. You wouldn't ask them to turn off cross-site scripting protection, would you? Besides, as you pointed out above, such a flag would only benefit your system, not anyone else you send a link to.

This is a really bad development.

I couldn't agree with you more, but it's not in our hands right now. If you are passionate about getting this fixed you need to make noise where Apple can hear you.

.... and that place is

http://bugreporter.apple.com/

If antialiasing is important to you please file a report there. Maybe Ken could share the bug ids that he filed on this? That way any new bugs could reference them which helps them get screened faster.

Don't worry about filing duplicates. Consider that a vote for the importance. Also, don't be put off by the fact you'll likely get told it is a duplicate and then not see any updates. That's an unfortunate part of our external bug system. Be assured that Apple really does notice and track everything filed on that site.

This goes for all Apple OpenGL and WebGL bugs (including "Please support WebGL").

Oh, and please attach a complete system profile. It's essential that we know your hardware and OS configuration.

Thanks

Dean