Re: [Public WebGL] Antialiasing being disabled on some Mac OS hardware

Hi all,

Any progress on a permanent resolution for this bug?

This is a huge deal for some of us. In my case, I have beautiful demos that got un-beautiful recently when my Chrome and Firefox updated. I might have to (shudder) show them on a Windows machine instead. But that only helps with hands-on demos... if I'm sharing links, and the user has a Mac, I'm SOL. The differences between the two experiences is stark. In fact, no antialiasing is pretty much a killer for me and the business I am trying to get funded as we speak. Without it, WebGL is fairly useless, a step back to the horrible old days of the late '90's trying sell 3D when the final image didn't look as good as a Flash animation. We *can't* go back there.

I am also about to embark on a second O'Reilly book, more in-depth than Up and Running. The book has a heavy focus on 3D as a user interface technology and it is positioned as a general visualization book, not just about games. As such it would be hard to hide the lack of antialiasing. And I would really hate to have to apologize around this issue to the readers.

If Apple isn't going to fix it soon, is there any chance we could ask the browser makers to de-implement the current fix, or at least somehow make it conditional with a different antialias flag or a "really, I mean it, I want antialiasing!" API call???

This is a really bad development.

Tony