Re: [Public WebGL] Parallelizing the WebGL conformance tests

On 12-11-29 11:22 PM, Gregg Tavares (社用) wrote:
Chrome recently implemented virtual contexts and for certain cases found a huge speed up. (This is what ANGLE does btw). In that case there might be less reason to limit the number of contexts.
Maybe we should do that too (I assume that 'virtual contexts' means multiplexing one GL context as many). I am just a bit concerned about losing the benefit of driver mechanisms killing one offending context while keeping other contexts alive, or giving each context its own address space as is the case in certain current drivers.

Benoit

Do browsers limit the number of images? Canvases? videos? audio tags? iframes? Don't the same issues apply?
The original motivation we had for limiting the number of contexts was that many mobile devices have very low limits on the number of GL contexts that can be live at a given time. Some didn't allow more than 8 GL context overall, across all processes.

Benoit

I know there are limits eventually. Out of memory for example. But some how I manage to open 10-20 tabs of sights like boingboing.net which has a flash video every 3rd or 4th post or several tabs of various sites covered in flash ads.

But you're right. Eventually sties will need to handle context lost.

I kind of agree with Chris Marin here though. I feel like maybe WebGL shouldn't require that. I'd prefer it was more like canvas 2d. The browser deals with keeping the resources around and that context lost only loses the backbuffer and/or render targets. But that's discussion is a whole other can of worms :-)