Re: [Public WebGL] Re: Moving float color buffer proposals to draft (was Re: Fixing the OES_texture_float mess)

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Mark Callow <callow.mark@artspark.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2012/11/15 14:30, Mark Callow wrote:
>
> I have updated EXT_color_buffer_half_float and WEBGL_color_buffer_float  to
> clarify that FLOAT reads are supported and to make the latter extension
> depend on the former for all language except the type tokens. I would like
> to move these to drafts so implementations can be done. If you have any
> objections, please raise them.
>
> I propose to change the sentence in OES_texture{_half,}_float beginning "The
> WebGL implementation may optionally accept ..." to
>
> The WebGL implementation my optionally accept a texture with pixel type
> {FLOAT, HALF_FLOAT_OES}. In such implementations, enabling this extension
> must implicitly enable the {EXT,WEBGL}_color_buffer{_half,}_float extension
> and the {float,half-float} rendering support must comply with that
> specification.
>
> I am undecided whether make this change when the color buffer extensions
> become draft or when there is at least one implementation. Opinions?
>
> In the absence of any objections, I have submitted a pull request to pull
> these extensions into draft status in the public extension repository.

I've merged this pull request by hand.

> Browser implementers, if you are already supporting floating point rendering
> as part of the float texture extension, please implement these as soon as
> possible.

We can collectively try. I've filed
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=163161 to track
implementation in Chromium.

> When is it appropriate to update the texture{_half,}_float extensions with
> the above change? Any improvements on the wording?

Personally I think it would be fine to update them now. Please submit
a pull request.

Thanks,

-Ken