[Public WebGL] Re: Moving float color buffer proposals to draft (was Re: Fixing the OES_texture_float mess)

On 2012/11/15 14:30, Mark Callow wrote:

I have updated EXT_color_buffer_half_float and WEBGL_color_buffer_float  to clarify that FLOAT reads are supported and to make the latter extension depend on the former for all language except the type tokens. I would like to move these to drafts so implementations can be done. If you have any objections, please raise them.

I propose to change the sentence in OES_texture{_half,}_float beginning "The WebGL implementation may optionally accept ..." to

The WebGL implementation my optionally accept a texture with pixel type {FLOAT, HALF_FLOAT_OES}. In such implementations, enabling this extension must implicitly enable the {EXT,WEBGL}_color_buffer{_half,}_float extension and the {float,half-float} rendering support must comply with that specification.

I am undecided whether make this change when the color buffer extensions become draft or when there is at least one implementation. Opinions?
In the absence of any objections, I have submitted a pull request to pull these extensions into draft status in the public extension repository. Browser implementers, if you are already supporting floating point rendering as part of the float texture extension, please implement these as soon as possible.

When is it appropriate to update the texture{_half,}_float extensions with the above change? Any improvements on the wording?

Regards

    -Mark