Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL Antialiasing

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Steven Wittens <steven@acko.net> wrote:
- Why is the flag considered a request which may be ignored?
Because anti-aliasing may not be available.

- Why are you incapable of inspecting or controlling the applied quality level of MSAA?
- Why are you incapable of checking if the request has been satisfied?
Because this is not a GL API. It's a non standardized function of the underlying window manager, so it hasn't been specced, added or implemented in the context of a GL specification.

At the very least, WebGL developers should have the ability to detect whether antialiasing can actually be applied and to what degree.
The UA folks usually worry about adding more machine specific bits that can identify users.

That is, how many color/depth/stencil samples, how many coverage samples, etc. That way, if the native implementation is insufficient, they can replace it with a custom post-processing filter, possibly in combination with super-resolution rendering. I could easily see myself doing a quick off-screen rendering benchmark to determine optimal settings. Right now I can't, because I'm working blind.
I would be in favor of something that lets us take finer control of aliasing and query its quality parameters.