On Sat, 17 Nov 2012, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> > You could do that with regular canvas too, just draw the one canvas
> > and paint it to each <canvas> you want to use it on. But the one you
> > draw on (whether using -webkit-canvas in CSS or using <canvas>) has to
> > be the biggest one, because in either case you're actually drawing a
> > bitmap and not a vector.
>
> True, however, the backgrounds are not painted. They share the same context
> so there's no overhead off copying/pasting of bitmap data.

Sure. There's no reason the UA can't do this optimisation for the case I
described too, as far as I can tell -- if the canvas is drawn on by a
completely opaque image, or if an ImageData is painted onto its entirety,
it's quite possible to do a copy-on-write sharing of the underlying
bitmap.

> It's as if you say:
>
> var ctx = Canvas1.getContext();
> Canvas2.setContext(ctx);
> Canvas3.setContext(ctx);
> ctx.moveto/lineto/etc
>
> and all the drawing shows up in all three canvases.

You could make something like the above work like -webkit-canvas, but I
don't think it'd be intuitive. Consider the case of the three canvases
being different dimensions -- as an author I would expect the paths to be
painted at native res on each one, not at Canvas1's res and then scaled.

But anyway, this is a somewhat academic detail. Currently, canvas isn't,
as far as I'm aware, widely used (or even rarely used) to draw the same
identical 2D image in multiple places at different sizes, so optimising
for this case isn't really a high priority right now.