[Public WebGL] Moving float color buffer proposals to draft (was Re: Fixing the OES_texture_float mess)

I have updated EXT_color_buffer_half_float and WEBGL_color_buffer_float  to clarify that FLOAT reads are supported and to make the latter extension depend on the former for all language except the type tokens. I would like to move these to drafts so implementations can be done. If you have any objections, please raise them.

I propose to change the sentence in OES_texture{_half,}_float beginning "The WebGL implementation may optionally accept ..." to

The WebGL implementation my optionally accept a texture with pixel type {FLOAT, HALF_FLOAT_OES}. In such implementations, enabling this extension must implicitly enable the {EXT,WEBGL}_color_buffer{_half,}_float extension and the {float,half-float} rendering support must comply with that specification.

I am undecided whether make this change when the color buffer extensions become draft or when there is at least one implementation. Opinions?

I just noticed the following in OES_texture{_half,}_float ...

The texImage2D and texSubImage2D entry points taking ImageData, HTMLImageElement, HTMLCanvasElement and HTMLVideoElement are extended to accept the pixel type FLOAT

What is this supposed to do? The type parameter is used to tell the implementation what type of data is being passed in. I do not know any way to get float, never mind half-float, data in any of the listed HTML elements so this statement seems completely pointless. It should be deleted.

If the intention is for the implementation to convert the incoming data to {half-,}float then what is needed is for the internalformat parameter to accept one of the tokens from the new extensions: RGBA16F, RGBA32F etc.

Regards

    -Mark