On 2012/11/13 15:48, Gregg Tavares (社用) wrote:

Why waste the object? If canvas all have a drawingBuffer then the most common
use case is to create a context with no drawingBuffer or a 1x1 and then just
draw to the mutliple canvas drawingbuffers. Why the wasted drawingBuffer on
the context if it will rarely if ever be used?

I'm looking at it as each canvas has a drawingBuffer. You can't have a canvas
in a worker but you can have a drawingBuffer. Breaking canvas into 2 parts
solves that problem. That seems like a clean solution to me. context always
draw to drawingbuffers. They either draw to one from a canvas or one created
explicitly.
I like this model because it corresponds to exactly the double-buffering model and double-buffering is something you need for smooth animation regardless of whether it is 2D or 3D.

drawingBuffer === back buffer

canvas === front buffer (what is displayed to the user, or in the web platform case, what is composited and presented to the user)

A worker drawing with a context has no need for a front buffer, just a place to accumulate drawing.

I certainly don't see this as introducing extra indirection.

Regards

    -Mark