On 2012/11/11 12:10, Gregg Tavares (社用) wrote:

This won't work for us. The problem we were trying to solve was being able to
use 1 context to render to multiple canvases. Each canvas is a different size.
The typical application that needs this is a 3D editor with multiple 3D views
each sizes by the user.

The reason we need 1 context to be able to write to all of those canvases
is because sharing GL resources brings with it a huge amount of state
issues. The solution was just being able to use the same context on mulitple
canvases.
That is not a very good example. It is easily accomplished by changing the viewport on a single canvas. The only reason to use separate canvases would be if you wanted to separate the views and put other stuff between them. However I don't think that would be a very satisfactory UI experience.

But that means each canvas has its own backingstore as each canvas
is a different size. We can't use a solution where the backing store is
part of context, not the canvas.

You could use a single backing store the size of the larger canvas. You can reuse the auxiliary buffers in the same way.

Regards

    -Mark